Main muscle: Quads
Other muscles: Triceps, Glutes, Shoulders, Abs, Traps, Middle Back, Hamstrings, Calves
Equipment: medicine ball
Mechanics type: compound
Fitness level: intermediate
Category: Cross-training, Plyometrics
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, facing a wall, and holding a medicine ball at your chest. Keep your shoulders back and keep your chest up high. Stand 3 to 5 feet from the wall. This will be your staring position.
- Descend into a squat by pushing your hips and butt backwards. Continue down until the upper legs are at or just below parallel to the floor. Inhale as you perform this portion of the movement.
- Drive through your heels to ascend. As you begin to drive upwards, push the medicine ball up towards the wall by fully extending the arms. Aim to throw the ball to a height of 10 to 12 feet.
- Catch the ball and return to the starting position. Immediately begin the next repetition.
- Repeat for recommended number of repetitions